The cases of osteoarthritis are surging due to a number of reasons. And a painful knee can be an impediment to leading an active life for most of these patients. Total knee replacement, better known as Arthroplasty, is one of the very common procedures for treating such damaged knees. The most common reasons found for knee replacements are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Here is a brief about the total knee replacement procedure.
What is Total Knee Replacement?
Arthroplasty is a surgical procedure to treat knee damaged by arthritis. The procedure uses metal or synthetic prosthetics to replace the affected knee. The prosthetics are made of very strong and biocompatible material to adhere to the bones. The metal used is an alloy made of cobalt, chromium, and molybdenum metals.
Aims Of Total Knee Replacement Surgery
The surgery aims at improving the patient’s quality of life by eliminating the symptoms caused by the damaged knee. Some of these aims include:
Free movement, not restricted by pain
- Pain Relief
- Improved functioning of knees
- Improved walking
- Better knee strength
The Fast Track Knee replacement Surgery has improvised the lives of many patients.
The procedure is as follows:
- A 6-8 inch long incision is made at the knee joint site, and the muscles and ligaments are separated.
- Then the worn-out cartilage or the damaged cartilage is taken out of the site and replaced with an artificial joint, which is a kind of surface Replacement Arthroplasty.
- With the help of a computer navigation system, the operation is guided for gap balancing, proper implantation, and axis correction which are important for successful arthroplasty.
- Extra worn out surfaces of the knees are trimmed off using specialized instruments.
Key Features Of The Arthroplasty Surgery
The key aspects of the surgery are as:
- The incisions are very small, and the replacement is made of adherable components that cause minimal or no inconvenience to the patient.
- Periarticular Injections and epidural analgesia makes the operation less painful and given to provide pain relief in the postoperative period.
- The patient can start walking within few hours of operation.
- The patient may be discharged in 4-5 days of the procedure.
- Patients receive physical therapy by experts at home.
Points To Note Before Surgery
- The doctor may ask some questions relating to your knee.
- The doctor may ask you for certain tests to conclude the arthroplasty.
- Notify your doctor if you are allergic to certain medications, latex, or anesthetic agent.
- Notify the doctor if you had a history of bleeding or anticoagulant medicines or aspirin that affect blood clotting.
- Notify if you are pregnant or expecting to be pregnant.
- Fix a prior meeting with your therapist so that you get prompt treatment solutions.
Total Knee Replacement is elective and life-enhancing surgery. The success rate is really high. It helps overcome pain and other problems caused due to restricted movement. The doctor will recommend this surgery only after weighing the risks and benefits that the patient may have from this surgery.
If you are looking for a good hospital for Knee replacement surgery in Wakad, you can visit our Alpha hospital, one of the leading orthopedic hospitals in Pune. To consult our Orthopedic doctor in Wakad, visit the Alpha Hospital website today.